Empire Magazine- [Actually] Talking [!] Deadpool Special Edn

Discus all the new Deadpool toys, shirts, and everything else.

Empire Magazine- [Actually] Talking [!] Deadpool Special Edn

Postby anthonyv8 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:35 pm

Not sure if everyone has heard of this magazine - 'Empire' covers movies, entertainment, etc. - it's based in the UK but has an offshoot here in Australia. They do subscriber covers every month which are usually really good (the DP one from the first movie was excellent), but with this they've outdone themselves.

I came across this completely by accident, but they have released a special issue of their magazine that is "voice-responsive" with quips from Deadpool - i.e. it talks. It also has a great cover:

It was apprently only released to a couple of retailers in the UK, at "selected WH Smith Travel and Tesco stores". For those of you in the UK, they have a map here: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/empire-amazing-deadpool-2-talking-cover/

Thankfully for those of us elsewhere, it can be purchased online from their direct supplier: https://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/empire-print-single-issues/eempespc/talking-deadpool-issue

The site ships internationally, and they're actually only charging the UK retail cost (£12.99) plus reasonable postage. I was able to pay in my own currency.

I found a discount code online to save an extra 10% as well. BSKT10VC is the one I used. If that no longer works, it looks like 10EXITVC should be OK as well. 10% off is nothing to be sneezed at. ;)

There's a video that has a quick plug here if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcaHbxES7Ho
anthonyv8

Re: Empire Magazine- [Actually] Talking [!] Deadpool Special

Postby Lovingtacos » Sat May 19, 2018 6:12 am

Thank you very much for the heads up and the explanation, Anthony!
Lovingtacos

Postby anthonyv8 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:21 am

So my copy turned up today...

The special edition cover is a cardboard slipcase that has the button and speaker, etc., built in. The magazine is insde with another different cover to the regular one, which was a nice bonus.

Problem is, my copy was sent only in a padded 'Jiffy' bag with no other protection (from UK to Australia). It was in bad shape when it arrived - bent, squashed, and even a little torn. :x

I've requested a replacement (properly protected of course) or a refund. Just poor service.

The magazine and cover looks great, and the 'talking' feature works well enough (although I suspect mine was damaged it a little in-transit - I don't think it works as well as it should).

Hopefully anyone else who ordered thsi will have better luck than I did...
anthonyv8

Postby PoolFan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 am

Mine was the same. Does yours talk when you push the button on the front or is it more like an on/off button? Mine doesn’t seem to do anything when you push the button. It seems to only talk when I open or close the cover. It is nice that they added a charging port to the inside of the cover. I charged mine for a couple hours and it seem to work better.
PoolFan

Postby anthonyv8 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:21 am

Honestly - couldn't they at least spring for cardboard packaging to protect this kind of special (and expensive) item to ship it overseas? I sent an email through to their contact address, but supposedly their servers are undergoing a changeover or whatever so it could be anything up to 10 days before I get a reply. I'm giving them a week and then lodging a Paypal dispute with the photos I took when I opened the package (thankfully I at least paid through Paypal which might help). Did you contact them about yours, or was it reasonable enough to not bother?

Re: button - I believe that you're right -and it's an on/off switch. Mine must have gotten bumped on during delivery - apparently it scared the hell out of the postman when the padded bag started to talk. :lol:

In the listing it says that the cover is meant to be "voice-responsive". Mine just ignores me with that, but if I move it around it does talk. Actually, a few times it just wouldn't shut up, so maybe it is just like the 'real' thing. DPL

Thanks for the tip about charging it - I'll see if it helps.
anthonyv8

Postby Lovingtacos » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Sorry about your delivery issues. It's really annoying when it happens.

What does the extra cover feature?
Lovingtacos

Postby anthonyv8 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:57 pm

It's a cleaned up version of the Summer 2018 issue regular cover (shown here https://pocketmags.com/it/empire-magazine/summer-2018).
Deadpool is much bigger on the special edition (inside) cover - there's no one else on the cover, and the 'Summer' text is much smaller.
When I'm at home later I'll upload an actual pic
anthonyv8

Postby Lovingtacos » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:59 am

Oh, that's a cool image. Thank you!
Lovingtacos

Postby anthonyv8 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Apologies, just realised that I didn't post the actual image of the inside cover. Will do so later...

In other news, I heard back from Bauer Magazines today - they're sending me a replacement copy. Apparently the support team is also forwarding the images I sent of the damaged magazine to their shipping department to stop this kind of thing happening in the future.

So my recommendation to anyone who received a damaged copy is to send a strongly worded email to Bauer@subscription.co.uk and ask for a replacement. Photos would help. Note that there will be a delay in their reply due to a 'system upgrade'. I heard back in about 5 days to my first enquiry ("where is it?"), and 3 days to my second ("you ruined it, you bastards")...
anthonyv8

Postby anthonyv8 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:51 am

As promised, here's the inside cover once you remove the magazine from the talking cover:
anthonyv8

Return to Toys & Products