Locke and Key

Discuss all your favorite comics without Deadpool in them

Locke and Key

Postby richeymitsu » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:07 am

Hey guys. Long time no see.

Reading comics of late has been a luxury that I struggle to devote as much time to as before (nobody told me to the extent that children destroy free time), so I have a stockpile of titles that I am very slowly crawling through. I've just finished reading what is by far the best comic I have read in some years. If any of you guys have missed out, go to your comic book store and shout at the clerk "I've not read Locke and Key. Shuttup and take my money!"

Locke and Key is written by Joe Hill and is a self contained story that concludes in 6 chapters (its technically 7, but I think that 'Omega' and 'Alpha' will end up being collected together), and is a wonderfully original piece of storytelling.

The plot involves three siblings, who's father is quite brutally murdered in an attack on their house. They, along with their mother, go to live with their uncle in the ancestral family home.

During their stay, the youngest family member, Bode, starts to discover a variety of keys that have strange applications. The first he finds, opens a door to outside the house. When he walks through the doorway he dies, and is able to roam around as a spirit. Upon returning through the doorway, his spirit re-inhabits his body and he springs to life again.

My favourite is the 'Head Key' which creates a keyhole on the back of peoples neck. When the key is turned, their head pops open and reveals all their thoughts and memories inside, which can be added to, removed or manipulated. Tyler, the middle sibling, crams for his exams by pushing text books into his open head. Which is awesome.

The plot kicks off when Bode finds a mysterious woman in the well house who tells him that she is trapped there. She needs hims to bring her the Anywhere Key and The Omega key. Bode wants to help her. Neither he, nor the reader realise that at the bottom of the well is one of the most deliciously satisfying 'Big Bads' since Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII...

Trust me on this, guys. To read it is to love it.

There is not a single wasted character in the entire run. The plot is skilfully crafted and will keep you guessing until the Buffy-esque finale. The uses of the keys are genius. You will be hooked from the end of "Welcome to Lovecraft" and will be unable to but it down until the end.

It's funny and chilling and obtuse and is currently my favourite comic of all time. Except for The Goon.

Anyone else read this? Do you agree?
LIAR! Where's your toolbox? You've got ANTI-FREEZE!
richeymitsu

Re: Locke and Key

Postby richeymitsu » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:10 am

Oh, and if you haven't read it, AVOID WIKIPEDIA!

Total spoiler alert...
richeymitsu

Postby PoolFan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:34 pm

I always thought the story sounded interesting but never made the time to read it. After your post I'm going to make a point to pick it up.
PoolFan

Postby cc008 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:52 pm

I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up!
cc008

Postby PoolFan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Read through the first arc today. Very good story. Can't wait to get into the rest.

Along these same lines, has anyone else read Morning Glories? I have read through the first forty issues a couple time and think it is a great mystery. Many have said its like the show Lost. Lots of weird stuff going on and a little time travel here and there. Big questions about what is reality. I suggest you check it out.
PoolFan

Postby BillyOfBillycartLane » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:16 am

I read an issue given out for Free Comic Book Day a few years ago, but it didn't really raise my interest. One issue isn't enough to judge an entire series on, but they're the ones who chose which issue to give as a sample.

Did you always have that Withnail quote for a sig, Richey? I don't think I noticed it before.
BillyOfBillycartLane

Postby GhostLupo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:23 pm

I'm reading this in trade paper back waiting for the last volume to come out: Alpha & Omega!
I can recommend this too :-)
Steven.
GhostLupo

Postby richeymitsu » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Did you always have that Withnail quote for a sig, Richey?

Oh yes, Mr OfBillyCartLane. I once chased the late Richard Griffiths, drunkenly through the backstreets of London shouting "My boys! My Boys!"

He was surprisingly limber for a big fella.
richeymitsu

Postby BillyOfBillycartLane » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:41 am

richeymitsu wrote:He was surprisingly limber for a big fella.

Substantially less so today, I'd wager. It might be worth grabbing a spade and going another round for old times' sake.
BillyOfBillycartLane

Return to Comics