Digital Comics

Discuss all your favorite comics without Deadpool in them

Digital Comics

Postby DeadpoolBugle » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:29 am

Just curious on people's thoughts on digital comics.

Personally, I'm a big fan. I love being able to read comics anywhere. I take the train to/from work, so just having a tablet loaded up with comics is great. I subscribe to Marvel Unlimited too, so I actually get to read a lot of comics I probably wouldn't have spent the money on to buy in issues, which is great.

I like what they are doing with Marvel Infinity in Deadpool: The Gauntlet, though I wish it was a bit more than just transitions. I think those are great, and are a good use of the medium, but I would love to see some small animation. I think the best digital comic experience I've seen is what Zac Gorman does with his webomic Magical Game Time. He just adds subtle animation but it brings so much.

Some examples:

Just call me Ben
DeadpoolBugle
Site Admin

Re: Digital Comics

Postby PoolFan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:38 am

As I said to Jordan on Twitter, I guess I'm just old fashion. I like to have physical material over digital bits for my money. The thought that they will most likely print this series in a TPB makes me really not want to pay for some slight animation when I can read the story without it later. Now if it were a fully animated comic or cartoon then I could see paying the money.

Now I do like the option to have digital copies of older comics to read on the iPad or such. One of the first comic series I read in my youth was Marvel Two In One featuring the Thing. Just like most young collector my comics were trashed over time and the thought of buying them in print again just for a quick read and nostalgia isn't something i would undertake. I now have the complete series on my iPad and love the freedom to pick it up and read an issue whenever.

So I guess I could make a point for both sides but moving forward I still say I would rather buy the print copy with an option to upgrade to digital or animated version.
PoolFan

Postby DeadpoolBugle » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:48 am

I still like print comics a lot, but as I get older I care less about the collecting and more about convenience. I'm a big reader of books too, and I switched to digital for that years ago and love it, so maybe I'm just a little more prepared for the switch.

Side note, Marvel Two-in-One #83 with the Thing & Sasquatch is the first Marvel comic I bought as a kid and I have a lot of fond memories of that series.
Just call me Ben
DeadpoolBugle
Site Admin

Postby misterviking » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:15 am

Like PoolFan, I prefer owning a physical item over a digital facsimile. This stretches outside of comics, to games and music too. Always have.

That being said, I do like the Infinite comics. I'm buying them as they come out, but I'll admit I had a massive sense of satisfaction when they released #1 in hard copy. If they collect the series in hard copy, I'll probably buy it, as even though I don't include GNs in my collection, this would be an exception to have a physical copy.

Would I have bought the Infinite version if it was being released in hard copy as well? Probably not.
misterviking

Postby BillyOfBillycartLane » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:59 pm

I've never partaken. I don't oppose them in principle, but the few times I've looked into it the pricing has tended to seem unrealistic. The value of ownership is sharply reduced when all you're really paying for is the right to personally view something on your own devices, with no ability to gift it later on or reclaim some of its cost by reselling at a loss later on (I'm not unrealistic enough to consider the overall value of my collection likely to appreciate), and the price needs to reflect that.

There's also a problem for me in having to deal with download data limits, which adds to the aggregated cost of any digital purchase, but that's less of a problem here than it is with bulky software.

The portability doesn't figure into it for me, as I like to travel light with the comforting knowledge that no mugger is going to get away with anything more valuable than a handful of loose change, hopefully also bearing a broken nose for his troubles.

I do read a few webcomics, though, which I guess are digital comics too.
BillyOfBillycartLane

Postby TopPoolUhl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:21 pm

I read all my comic books digitally on my android tablet. The Comixology app works great for that. I also have a Marvel Unlimited Plus subscription for reading back issues, but that app is sorely lacking in usability and features compared to the Comixology app.

That being said, I am also a collector of all thing physical media, including comic books. I was buying the hard copies and redeeming the digital code for reading, but soon realized I was going to quickly run out of storage space in my apartment. So although I would prefer to physically own every book, I now buy almost every book digitally only (with the 15% discount for MU membership) because they do not take up any space that way.

I do feel bad because I like supporting my LCS. I wish there was a way to buy the digital books through them.
TopPoolUhl

Postby MartyrPool » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:03 pm

I'd rather have physical comics over the digital ones. I'm not a big fan of reading books online. I have a few books in a kindle application, but I might have read a few pages. I'd much rather have something I can flip through.
MartyrPool

Postby BillyOfBillycartLane » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:52 pm

TopPoolUhl wrote:because they do not take up any space that way.

Yeah, that's the main thing that would appeal to me. There's only so much clutter one person can accumulate before most of it becomes a chore to retrieve from storage, so you never use most of it anyway and it's all just taking up space. Then one day you open a cupboard and it all comes spilling out as an avalanche, and you only have a split second to appreciate the experience of a classic cartoon gag made real before you're knocked unconscious by a freefalling Care Bear cookie jar and your helpless body is buried beneath the endless tide of detritus.

Three weeks later, your landlord comes in complaining about unpaid rent, only to discover the society of rats nesting gleefully in your stomach. It is a rapid funeral. All your possessions are shipped directly to the tip to make room for the next tenant. Nobody could be bothered sorting through all that junk to discover the few items worth inheriting. Your comics lie decomposing beneath a truckload of rejected McDonalds hamburger buns. The heavily preserved buns will outlast the comics. Should have gone digital.
BillyOfBillycartLane

Postby cc008 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:13 am

I think digital comics can do some really cool things that obviously traditional books can't, but I still get all my books from my LCS in traditional, floppy form. I like having the art in it's original format and there's something of a collector's quality that is present in the books that isn't there with digital issues.
cc008

Postby Crazy_D » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:47 pm

I'll admit I buy all my comics from the store but I'm still interested in digital comics. I'm on Comixology and I was kinda disappointed with how the few "freebie" comics they give you look (like TMNT for instance) were it's really just a close up of the panel and then the next and then the next an etc. But Deadpool's series looks more like what I'd like to expect from a digital comic. Perhaps I'm biased because I'm a big fan of MSPaintAdventures and the panels there are often GIFs and makes reading them more entertaining but that's what I'd expect from a digital comic. Like for example this: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003539 and maybe a little bit of animation like this http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001982. But nothing too extraordinary. If more digital comics were like that and like the Gauntlet I might start buying them more.
Crazy_D

Next

Return to Comics