Skottie Young leaving 'Pool: Who's coming next?

Discus any of the Deadpool series, miniseries, or appearances.

Skottie Young leaving 'Pool: Who's coming next?

Postby Lovingtacos » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Hey again, I think it would be better to open a new thread to further comment this.

As you may have read, I had no idea! Bleeding Cool gave the exclusive a couple weeks ago :? (in their usual half-baked style).

So it's lasting until #15... #10 comes out next week, a three-parter lasting until May (#12). A follow-up to a plot begun in #4 is coming next, at least one chapter more (#13?). That leave us two more. Unless they rush into production -and there's not any type of delay- #15 comes into August. I hope they announce who's the new writer way before June (when September's solicits come out).

I can't help but wonder if it's going to be a full-fledged reboot or if the current artists will continue on the title. What do you think?

And of course, who'd you like to write the DP main series next?

Personally, Al Ewing has written him really good lately. In U.S. Avengers, he tackled the funny part well and in Rocket he encapsulated Duggan's DP in essence beautifully. 'You Are Deadpool', though it's kind of spun out and I admit I haven't finished yet, it's also a enjoyable read.

Cullen Bunn stated on Twitter that 'Assassin' was going to be his last Deadpool in the foreseeable future. He's working on 'Punk Mambo', an upcoming monthly series along Adam Gorham, aside of quite some more projects... I don't see it likely to happen, honestly.

Chip Zdarsky. I haven't read much of his Marvel stuff, but he can write both sides of Deadpool. His sense of humor and comedy style in particular can be a great addition to the character's publication history. On the other side, he is already writing two series for Marvel now...

If I could choose, I'd LOVE to see Gail Simone back at the series. She is able to do wonders with Wade... You can't imagine how happy I am to know DP's guest starring on Domino a couple months from now.

That's all, folks!

P.D.: not really. Bleeding Cool wrote in the same post that there is, at least, one "unique" DP mini coming later this year. One of two, they say (would thank some concretion, even if it's a scoop!).
Lovingtacos

Re: Skottie Young leaving 'Pool: Who's coming next?

Postby PoolFan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Lovingtacos wrote:P.D.: not really. Bleeding Cool wrote in the same post that there is, at least, one "unique" DP mini coming later this year. One of two, they say (would thank some concretion, even if it's a scoop!).

Liefeld has said that he is working on a follow up to his Bad Blood story so maybe they are referencing this.

Would love to have Gail write DP again!
PoolFan

Postby cc008 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:01 am

I have a gut feeling Matt Rosenberg's Punisher is coming to a close. If that's the case and he's picking up another book, I'd love to see him write DP.

Cullen Bunn is the safe, reliable, and welcomed choice I think.
cc008

Postby anthonyv8 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:54 am

I was glad of the news that Young was leaving after #15 - I really haven't been feeling the current run. The issue with Ellie was an exception, but to my mind, it just reinforced that Duggan was a big loss for the series (and character).

The next trade is to #12, so I suspect that after #15 there will be a special or annual to fill out a third trade (I don't think they'll publish a trade with only 3 issues, unless one of the 3 is oversized). I'm guessing that if there is a special/annual, it will be written (and hopefully drawn) by someone other than the current team.

Bunn is OK as a writer, but his mini-seriess tend more to joke-DP than pathos-DP (like Kelly or Duggan), and I think DP always works best when there's an underlying sadness to balance out the humour. I'd like to see Simone come back as well, but I don't think it's going to happen. I think Marvel is maybe grooming Donny Cates for this? The Cosmic Ghost Rider character is pretty close to DP anyway...
anthonyv8

Postby cc008 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Are we thinking about the same Bunn?

Living Deadpool, Deadpool Kills, Assassin, etc... mini series Bunn? Those are some of the more serious stories we've gotten from Wade in recent memory.
cc008

Postby PoolFan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:46 pm

Maybe he meant that Bunn’s stories are more like “What if?!?” or alternate universe type stories than main canon stories.
PoolFan

Postby anthonyv8 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:30 am

cc008 wrote:Are we thinking about the same Bunn? Living Deadpool, Deadpool Kills, Assassin, etc... mini series Bunn? Those are some of the more serious stories we've gotten from Wade in recent memory.

PoolFan wrote:Maybe he meant that Bunn’s stories are more like “What if?!?” or alternate universe type stories than main canon stories.

The alternate reality stuff is fine, but I meant when Bunn writes the 616 ('our') Deadpool - I usually feel like something is missing and the jokes are kind-of tacked on (see DP vs Carnage, DP kills DP). I also sometimes feel like Bunn's stories just run out without a real ending (see DP killustrated, DP vs Carnage, even DP Assassin).

That said, I did enjoy the 'Living Deadpool' books. 'Secret Secret Wars' was also great, as it followed a lot of the repeating themes in the 'good' DP stories - DP gets then loses girl; DP interacts with other heroes in a 'real' way; DP saves the day but doesn't get the credit; DP gets what he wants but can't keep it; DP sad to balance out the funny - it basically reads like a 'best of' for the Kelly or Duggan series. I also have a soft spot for 'Back in Black', but I suspect that's because of the retro nature of the story and the fact that it ties into a 'Secret Secret Wars' plotline.

Maybe the limited series nature of Bunn's storylines is what puts me off his writing a little - it seems like the most of the follow-up plots are more to make money for Marvel than a real need to tell an ongoing story (just my opinion, anyway)...
anthonyv8

Postby anthonyv8 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 pm

Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out what's happening with the main DP title - the August solicits are out and they're only showing the 'Acts of Evil' annual and the tie-in mini-series for 'Absolute Carnage': https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-solicitations-august-2019/

I'm wondering if the 3-issue 'Absolute Carnage' mini will be replacing the main title until the next iteration comes (the new team might need to gain some ground to keep everything on time). I've read that they're rebooting the X-Men line-wide with the Hickman 'House of X' / 'Powers of X' stories - surely Marvel would want to have the new Deadpool series launched before any new X-Men titles so that it sold well (and wasn't lost in the rush)? Unless the plan is to bring Deadpool back into the X-Men circle again?

Hopefully we'll see something for the September solicits.
anthonyv8

Postby anthonyv8 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:47 pm

Adventures in Poor Taste has an interview with Jordan White as part of their 'X-Men Monday' series here: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/06/03/x-men-monday-featuring-jordan-d-white-14-x-events/
It includes new artwork with Deadpool (these posts always have snatches of new artwork without any real indication of which issue they're from).

Spoiler:
He's wearing a metal costume (after having discarded a robe with Deadpool logos):

I'd really like to see this costume as a Pop! Vinyl figure - I think it would look cool.

Wonder if this is from a mini-series or will be in the main title (even as a throwaway gag). Let the speculation begin! :lol:
anthonyv8

Postby Lovingtacos » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Thank you for sharing!!

Let me start with the speculation :P

I would say that bit is from DP's story in the upcoming Marvel Comics Presents #6
Spoiler:
Reilly Brown announced on Instagram he was penciling this story. It revolves about Deadpool getting in the collecting industry, which would make sense if with think this is a... statue of some kind?. If I am not wrong, the whole issue takes place into the 90s, which would match the look of the costume

It's most likely because it's already colored (they usually do the coloring near the release date).

I have been thinking about what you have mentioned about Hickman's series. Taking their words, they are canceling the line until September. We could learn something soon... or not. Maybe there isn't any relaunch to be released soonish, as you say.

Deadpool, main series and minis, are listed inside the X-Men Line into their Previews magazine, so I would say it does count into this somehow (even though we all now it has hardly interaceds with any other X-title in years...). Maybe he plays some part (little for sure, if it even happens) into the Hickman series, as a prelude to what's coming next...

I'm still vowing for Gail Simone ;P
Lovingtacos

Next

Return to Comics