Essential Deadpool Reading

Discus any of the Deadpool series, miniseries, or appearances.

Essential Deadpool Reading

Postby cc008 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:30 pm

CBR has posted what they (or at least one writer) believes are the essential Deadpool stories. I tend to disagree with some of them, but here they are:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=55657

My essential reading would probably be:
1)New Mutants #98 & the following X-Force issues (starting with #2) featuring Wade as a villain by Nicieza and Liefeld
2) Deadpool ('97 series)... Joe Kelly, Frank Tieri, and Gail Simone, imho, wrote the most important stories
3) Cable and Deadpool by Nicieza
4) DEAD by Daniel Way
5) Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender
6) Marvel NOW! Deadpool by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn
cc008

Re: Essential Deadpool Reading

Postby richeymitsu » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:20 pm

I mostly agree with CC08, with the exception of the Way stuff. I personally thought that, whatever your feelings on Daniel Way's run, the quality took a real decline towards the end. I reckon that you can save dollars and catch the best of Way-pool by just tuning in for his exploits in Wolverine Origins.

It pretty much encapsulates everything Deadpool was for the whole of Way's run, without having to read any of it. Since the series was entirely farce, 'Pool comes out the other end the same as he was in the beginning. Almost as if (at least 40 of) those issues had never happened.

And if you find it funny, check out the rest of the run. If not, skip straight to the hugely enjoyable current ongoing. I personally, unlike the article, thought the Dead Presidents arc to be the low point of the current run, which has been getting better as it goes along (Although I have only got to issue 28 -I am SO behind!)

I'd be inclined to put Agent X in the list as well, but just because I love it. It is by no means essential reading.

But I do love it.
LIAR! Where's your toolbox? You've got ANTI-FREEZE!
richeymitsu

Postby BillyOfBillycartLane » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:11 am

I'd list

Circle Chase,
Sins of the Past,
Kelly,
Agent of Weapon X,
Simone,
current run.

A fairly standard opinion, apart from leaving out Cable and Deadpool.

richeymitsu wrote:I personally, unlike the article, thought the Dead Presidents arc to be the low point of the current run

I think most people do. It was stretched out two issues longer than it should gave been, resulting in a lot of medicore filler. Some people seem prejudiced against the entire run based on that first arc.

Yet at the time it was still some of the best Deadpool we'd seen for a while.
BillyOfBillycartLane

Postby cc008 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:00 am

I just think that one arc by Way is the only one that's had a lasting impression on the character in future stories, which is why I listed it. I think it was also the best arc of a mediocre series.

I'll third the notion that Dead Presidents isn't the strongest arc of the current series.. but what's followed it has been nothing short of amazing.
cc008

Postby richeymitsu » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:19 am

I think that Dead Presidents was there to bridge the gap in tone between runs. If it didn't have an air of cartoony about it, some of the newer fans might have had a bit of a culture shock.

For the record, I'm so happy my favourite character is in a readable ongoing again!
LIAR! Where's your toolbox? You've got ANTI-FREEZE!
richeymitsu

Postby lastActionHero » Wed May 27, 2015 12:44 pm

All of them are really good. But I am surprised as they haven't included 'Death of Deadpool' there.
I loved that issue.
I want to be a CFO of a big publishing company, just like Maureen O'Connell Scholastic
lastActionHero

Postby cc008 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:26 pm

That was written way before we knew about Death of Deadpool
cc008

Return to Comics