Deadpool's sexuality

A place to discuss anything Deadpool that just doesn't fit in one of the other forums

Re: Deadpool's sexuality

Postby DoctorDP » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:19 pm

And of all the characters to have "switch teams" (and ain't that a slippery slope?), they picked the absolute worst one in Alan Scott. It would have been so easy to create a new character and him/her a Green Lantern.
DoctorDP

Postby cc008 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:22 pm

On the topic of developing new characters who are gay, I thought Brian Michael Bendis did a very good job of it in Uncanny X-Men. Issue #14, for those of you who don't read it, reveals that Benjamin Deeds, a new mutant recruited by Cyclops, is gay. Say what you want about Bendis, but I enjoyed the issue very much. I liked the way he handled it.
cc008

Postby DoctorDP » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:46 pm

There's also that one lesbian in Fearless Defenders. I forget her name as I didn't read the title, but she was well received.
DoctorDP

Postby hgiel » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:58 pm

porkchoppunch wrote:All fine and dandy but if you really picture Deadpool as a gay character

NO ONE SAID DEADPOOL WAS GAY.

Queer does not mean gay.

No one is suggesting Deadpool doesn't like woman, we are suggesting he is into all genders (not just male or female either)

Although I might start saying that all his interest in women were jokes and all activity with them simply is anecdotal.
hgiel

Postby Black Lyon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:14 pm

So...interesting thread.

Just going to give my two cents, wont be the most popular opinion but its mine non the less: I really, really, really hope they do not turn Deadpool gay or bi. It would be one of the few things to actually make me drop the book. And I've stuck with Deadpool through the rough times too (Way, Priest, Deadpool Corps, etc) but something like that would just ruin it for me. Now, that said, allow me to also clarify: I do not /hate/ gay or bi people nor do I think they are any more or less important than I. I believe people got the right to do whatever makes them happy. However, on a personal level, I dont agree with homosexuality much the same way that people dont agree with this religion or that one and it is not something I want to read about in the characters I enjoy.

Overall, I wouldnt take the post on twitter to be that serious, you are talking about a comedian making a post over the internet, the potential for sarcasm and trolling his high and furthermore, despite some arguments to the contrary, there has been nothing solidly put forth that Deadpool is interested in anything other than the ladies.
Black Lyon

Postby hgiel » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:24 pm

Black Lyon wrote:I dont agree with homosexuality much the same way that people dont agree with this religion or that one

I'm sorry, I don't get the analogy of religion? Do you mean you don't believe in the validity of it? That it's not a genuine sexuality and that all non-heterosexuals are faking it?
hgiel

Postby BillyOfBillycartLane » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:01 am

Yeah, Black Lyon, that is kind of dumb.

hgiel wrote:I will agree I'm repeating myself at this point but I have a lot of company.

Yeah, that's what I said.

hgiel wrote:The one that has seemed to come up the most in this discussion is the concept of identity versus sexual activity. People are constantly having their identities questioned because their sexual activity does not hold up to people's preconceived notions of their identity. The reason I feel so frustrated when I see people saying that Deadpool has to do something to prove that he is really is bisexual/pansexual/omnisexual is because this is going on in the real world where people (especially young women) are pressured into having sex simply to validate their identity. I truly don't want to go into details about this because I don't believe this is the place but please hear me when I sincerely tell you that perpetuating the idea that sexual identity has to be proven through sexual activity has real-world repercussions.

I agree with the sentiment, although even a clearly depicted infatuation would be enough to establish it.

hgiel wrote:On a lighter note, I also feel it's important that those of us who believe that Deadpool is queer should stay involved in the conversation and not become beaten down by the negativity our interpretation receives.

Do you feel that has been happening here, or do you just mean in general?

edit: After skimming the Fuck Yes blog, I felt I ought to edit to repeat a comment I made earlier.

BillyOfBillycartLane wrote:There is definitely more to such humour than making the Other ridiculous and gratifying norms, however. Bear in mind that homosexual men can and do make jokes about attraction to women, for instance. I assume it's the same for lesbians making jokes about attraction to men, but I don't know any myself. Make Deadpool a committed homosexual, make Kingpin a female, and that joke about being aroused still works as a joke. The humour isn't simply "this is a wrong thing to be attracted to," but draws on the fundamental rule that "sex is funny."

It's only problematic when heterosexuals take such a line regarding homosexual attraction because there happens to be a stigma to be reinforced, an audience that will choose to take it as reinforcement of a view they are already inclined to take, a construction of discursive power that lends such disproportionate credibility to anything that exists within it that it trends towards oppression. If we were able to excise this from society today, these jokes would work without being insulting even if they had originally been written by somebody who had consciously intended to belittle homosexuals. This is not to trivialise the issue so much as to say it is complicated.

ie. it is sex itself that is ridiculous, not any particular sexuality, and as such you can make comedy out of sexual references about somebody or a group of somebodies you have no interest in without depending on any sense that the concept of the union is utterly absurd. It is the exact same humour I get out of similar lines Deadpool makes about women. I don't think "ha, he is totally into her," I think "ha,sex." It is basic and stupid humour, like farts, but admittedly more of a problem because it does often allow for the more derisive interpretation.
BillyOfBillycartLane

Postby porkchoppunch » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:44 am

hgiel wrote:
porkchoppunch wrote:All fine and dandy but if you really picture Deadpool as a gay character

NO ONE SAID DEADPOOL WAS GAY.

Queer does not mean gay.

No one is suggesting Deadpool doesn't like woman, we are suggesting he is into all genders (not just male or female either)

Although I might start saying that all his interest in women were jokes and all activity with them simply is anecdotal.

Well now we're just splitting semantic hairs. From Wikipedia "Subsequently, for most of the 20th century, "queer" was frequently used as a derogatory term for effeminate gay males who were believed to engage in receptive or passive anal/oral sex with men, and others exhibiting untraditional (i.e., trans[2]) gender behaviour" Where and when I grew up queer was a synonym for homosexual.
porkchoppunch

Postby BillyOfBillycartLane » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:55 am

I think from the context of this thread it's pretty safe to assume that we're always referring to the idea of pansexuality originally indicated, and that all references to "homosexuality" and similar words refer to non-exclusive inclinations for same-gender relations while some references to "heterosexuality" may also refer to non-exclusive inclinations, as determined by the context of individual usage.
BillyOfBillycartLane

Postby DoctorDP » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:01 am

BillyOfBillycartLane wrote:ie. it is sex itself that is ridiculous, not any particular sexuality, and as such you can make comedy out of sexual references about somebody or a group of somebodies you have no interest in without depending on any sense that the concept of the union is utterly absurd. It is the exact same humour I get out of similar lines Deadpool makes about women. I don't think "ha, he is totally into her," I think "ha,sex." It is basic and stupid humour, like farts, but admittedly more of a problem because it does often allow for the more derisive interpretation.

This is true and gets more into the heart of the matter. However as homosexuality(I use the term to refer to all the varying flavors thereof) becomes more accepted it becomes safer to joke about.

In fact, if I hated gay people it wouldn't be because of the gay sex and whatnot- it would be because their existence gave Seth Rogen a career. I have this friend who's pretty homophobic but not mean about it- he literally cannot sit through a Seth Rogen movie. His reaction to "This is the End" was funnier than the movie itself.
DoctorDP

PreviousNext

Return to General Deadpool Discussion