New Forum Style

New Members: Please read the forum rules first before posting

New Forum Style

Postby DeadpoolBugle » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:15 pm

I change the forum style today. Please let me know if you encounter any issues.
Just call me Ben
DeadpoolBugle
Site Admin

Re: New Forum Style

Postby BillyOfBillycartLane » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:10 am

Did you also disband the chat?

No issues so far. Looks fine to me.
BillyOfBillycartLane

Postby maxchong7 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:03 am

Looks good!
No issues so far.
A person who has been fated to wander a world where he does not feel acceptance.
maxchong7

Postby DeadpoolBugle » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks.

I did remove the chat. It hasn't had the type of activity it has had int he past, and hasn't for a while. For the most part it was just one person in there at a time leaving a couple messages and then people would respond hours later. That is really more of how a forum should work then a chat should work.

I also didn't feel I had enough control over the chat. I don't have time to moderate it. The forum makes it a lot easier.

If people want to chat by leaving a quick message or two dipper made a chat thread a while back: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34
You can also add IM info to your profile if you still want to talk to people instantly.
Just call me Ben
DeadpoolBugle
Site Admin

Postby maxchong7 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Could we get Visitor Messages?
Some forums have the VM option so users can leave messages on another user's profile page. Then it could replace the chatroll, I honestly think it is better for forum conversations rather than a chat thread, every one would be commenting and the conversation would get rather confusing.

A General Chit-Chat subforum could be created to make threads for bigger conversations and discussion between all members.

I also think the control panel can be made more comfortable, like whenether someone posts in a thread he is automatically subscribed to it and can get notifications about new replies in the user cp. In other words merging the 'View your Posts' stuff with the cp.

So, these are my opinions.
A person who has been fated to wander a world where he does not feel acceptance.
maxchong7

Postby BillyOfBillycartLane » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:32 am

If it's simple to do and wouldn't involve relinquishing too much control of what information is seen on the front page, perhaps more traffic could be coaxed into the forum by listing links to the three or so threads that have been posted in most recently. Most visitors are likely to be too lazy to actively seek out what if anything is going on in the forum.

maxchong7 wrote:A General Chit-Chat subforum could be created to make threads for bigger conversations and discussion between all members.

That's what the Anything Goes section is for, unless I misunderstand your meaning.
BillyOfBillycartLane

Postby DeadpoolBugle » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:08 am

maxchong7 wrote:Could we get Visitor Messages?
Some forums have the VM option so users can leave messages on another user's profile page. Then it could replace the chatroll, I honestly think it is better for forum conversations rather than a chat thread, every one would be commenting and the conversation would get rather confusing.

A General Chit-Chat subforum could be created to make threads for bigger conversations and discussion between all members.

I also think the control panel can be made more comfortable, like whenether someone posts in a thread he is automatically subscribed to it and can get notifications about new replies in the user cp. In other words merging the 'View your Posts' stuff with the cp.

So, these are my opinions.

I'll look into some add-ons for the forum and see if there is anything like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

BillyOfBillycartLane wrote:If it's simple to do and wouldn't involve relinquishing too much control of what information is seen on the front page, perhaps more traffic could be coaxed into the forum by listing links to the three or so threads that have been posted in most recently. Most visitors are likely to be too lazy to actively seek out what if anything is going on in the forum.

maxchong7 wrote:A General Chit-Chat subforum could be created to make threads for bigger conversations and discussion between all members.

That's what the Anything Goes section is for, unless I misunderstand your meaning.

I agree with you. I did replace the chat with a list of forum topics, but I've done some shuffling of the elements on the front page so the forum is much more prominent. Hopefully that helps.
Just call me Ben
DeadpoolBugle
Site Admin

Postby maxchong7 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:02 pm

BillyOfBillycartLane wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty much it now that I think of it. I forgot they were the same since the one here is very inactive and doesn't really look like a public chat room compared to the one in Zelda Universe.
maxchong7

Return to Forum Rules & Announcements