TMNT vs Guardians of the Galaxy?

Discuss all the TV and Movies you are into

TMNT vs Guardians of the Galaxy?

Postby DeadpoolFool » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:30 am

So it was announced not too long ago that TMNT was pushed back so it wouldn't have to compete against Godzilla and Transformers 4. Now it only has to compete with Guardians of the Galaxy. Well I've gotten into a debate with some people on another website over who is going to rule the box office that weekend. So that leads me to the ultimate question.....

Will James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy come on top, or will Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles steal the thunder?

Personally I think GOTG will come up on top for the sole reason that these two films are going to rely really heavily on marketing. Which Disney beats Nickelodeon in that department big time. Plus the Marvel brand name is currently bigger than the TMNT brand name. Not to mention the fact that the new turtle film seems to be alienating (pun intended) older Ninja Turtle audiences with the producing power of Michael Bay, the obvious whitewashing of both Splinter and Shredder (Which I'm furious about), the constantly changing release date, and Megan Fox as April O'Neill.

What do you guys think? Am I correct or am I just underestimating the true power of the ninja turtle franchise?
DeadpoolFool

Re: TMNT vs Guardians of the Galaxy?

Postby porkchoppunch » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:12 am

Wait TMNT was worried about Transformers(which lost a lot of fan support in the last installment) and Godzilla? Godzilla? They'll have a harder time against GOTG. I can't say which will be better but I think TMNT just might make more at the box office. I know a lot more people in the recent generations who grew up with TMNT over GOTG and the new animated series seems to be doing well with the younger generation(7-10 year old).

I think reminiscence factor alone will bring a lot of movie goers to the Turtles. My only problem with the new Turtles movie is the alien aspect but it could still be a good movie for what it is. That said if GOTG does Rocket Raccoon well and word gets out I think there could be a wave of GOTG support from people who paid it little to no attention.

I say opening weekend Turtles almost assuredly, long run could go either way, word of mouth will dictate the result, but I feel(and kinda personally hope being one of those kids who grew up on the Turtles) that TMNT wins.
porkchoppunch

Postby cc008 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:47 am

I think the reason it was pushed back is not because they were "worried" about Transformers but because they are both produced by Paramount Pictures and both Michael Bay films. Why make those two go head to head if that's the case?

As for going against GotG, they're lucky it's not Cap 2 or something like that.. but it's still a Marvel film. Obviously Marvel is a bigger name than Nickelodeon, but the Turtles are more widely know by the general audience than Rocket Raccoon. It'll be close.

The whole alien thing and Shredder not looking like someone who could be named Oroku Saki is really disturbing because I grew up with TMNT... possibly more than any pop culture icon out there. I will undoubtedly see it opening weekend though. It's the turtles. BUT, I will also see GotG. Probably that same weekend if not immediately after it. Michael Rooker and Chris Pratt sell it enough for me. I have very little knowledge of Marvel's galactic titles (Guardians, Nova, etc..) so I'm excited to see something new and different. But it's TMNT first because of my history with them alone.
cc008

Postby truology » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

I have to agree with cc008 on the basis that TMNT is a far far more commonly known name. Personally, and this is just due to my personal exposure, I didn't even know the GotG existed until their now title launched. This isn't a Disney vs. Nickelodeon thing, it's a Marvel movie vs. a TMNT movie and most people I know have memories of growing up watching TMNT movies and the show so droves of people will go with the nostalgia pulling on their heartstrings. So I believe there will be a marginally larger audience that goes to TMNT but they will be close.

Oh and Bay has admitted defeat on the aliens thing. They are going to stick to the original origins of the TMNT http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/apr/30/ninja-turtles-aliens-michael-bay

Which is a good thing, because there are only four details they have to get right about the TMNT: that they are teenageres, that they are mutants, that they are ninjas and that they are turtles.
truology

Postby cc008 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:11 pm

truology wrote:Which is a good thing, because there are only four details they have to get right about the TMNT: that they are teenageres, that they are mutants, that they are ninjas and that they are turtles.

A recipe that's been known to work in the past.
cc008

Postby bairdduvessa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:37 pm

tmnt will crush guardians, sadly
"All I know is during the cola wars, Deadpool had the highest body count."-Gerry Duggan
bairdduvessa

Postby DeadpoolFool » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:18 pm

So now that GOTG has come out, and has received practically universal critical praise, and is tracking to earn 70 million domestically opening weekend. Which is almost 20 million more than originally expected......Have any of you guys begun to doubt whether or not Guardians will stay top-dog when Ninja Turtles comes out?
DeadpoolFool

Return to TV/Movies