MARVEL & VIN DIESEL????!!?!?!?!?

Discuss all the TV and Movies you are into

Re: MARVEL & VIN DIESEL????!!?!?!?!?

Postby Spartakus X » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 pm

porkchoppunch wrote:idk Ironside but his name sounds like a comic character lol. He could be Thunderbolt Ross in a Red-Hulk or another Hulk movie if he's typecasted as military or maybe Regular Fury(Though Ultimate Fury aka Sam Jackson is good too and probably won't be replaced.

Ironside had a good role in the original "V" tv show back in the '80's where he played a pretty cool anti-hero. Other than that he is most known
for being the antagonist to Arnold Schwarzenegger character in the original "Total Recall". You might know him as the military guy
from "Terminator: Salvation" a movie that I liked a lot better than the average viewer and even earlier the military veteran-mentor
in "Starship Troopers". He's good, but isn't getting any younger either. I like your suggestions though!
I guess Lundgren's chances where blown by Iron Man 2, were Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo where kinda mixed into one.
Two villains Lundgren could've pulled off nicely.

porkchoppunch wrote:Joss whedon and Del Torro seem to get passes just because they fit into the crowd they make movies for, that said I like a lot of Del Torros stuff(except mama that was weak) and whedon I actually never watched a lot of but I'm interested in Agents of Shield his tv show.

Whedon: Buffy & Angel, Firefly and the Avengers.
All stuff that I should be into wickedly. I love demons, mysticism, fantasy and sci-fi and blonds.
I disliked it all and have yet to see the Avengers. He's too nice, in a bubble-gum sense. There's no grit and what he thinks is funny I find
corny. Why he would use a white-supremacist, Confederate veteran as the "symbol" in Serenity/Firefly is beyond me and is quite dubious.
Only really memorable thing about that show was half-naked Christina Hendricks and Adam Baldwin's so-bad-that-it-was-funny anti-hero
character. His main characters are often played by uncharismatic actors, whom I, with no proof whatsoever, accuse of being jerks (especially
David Boreanaz, Nathan Fillion and even Sarah M. Gellar). Maybe I'd have to say Whedon's too white-bread (no offense)...
His work just perfectly misses me by inches. Same goes for Del Torro. The missing by inches, not the white bread thing.
Blade II, Hellboy I+II, Masters of Horror and now Pacific Rim.
Del Torro _has_ the gritty that I miss with Whedon. His humor works for me, but what saves his movies from really annoying me ultimately
is that he usually works with great actors like Snipes (who definitely needs, in many a sense, a role in the Expendable franchise, which I
haven't watched yet either...) or Perlman. His movies are too "well-shaven" and generic. I guess it has to do with his reliance on CGI
a lot. I like Del Torro's fiendish fantasies, the Lovecraft influence and the plots that he comes up with, but he never comes close to being
as convincing as Carpenter or Cronenberg or Raimi or Rodriguez from my pov. I might/should give "Pan's Labyrinth" a chance...
Pacific Rim really rattles my cage. It has these Lovecraftian Kaijus, cool looking Mechas and most importantly the awesome
Idris Elba and Ron Pearlman (I really like ensemble keeping directors --- but granted one reappearing actor doesn't make an ensemble now...).
I'm really afraid of spending (that much) money on that movie, because I'm afraid of being left with a mediocre experience.
I already crossed "World War Z" from my list, because studio meddling f-ed up a good screenplay by J. Michael Straczynski whom I trust to
deliver. I'm probably going to see "Man of Steel", because besides with "Sucker Punch" Zack Snyder has never disappointed me.

Skipping the martial artists section for now and back to:
porkchoppunch wrote:Wait I figured it out during this diatribe. Vin Diesel cast as.....wait for it...........Xavier. duh duh duhhhhhhhhh. Bald head and all.

:D Topic!
I wouldn't trust Diesel to play anyone who isn't a mute (ouch). Big, bad, bald thug. Be my guest anytime, but a any character that needs
depth - pass! Hm...maybe that's too strong? He might be able to pull off...Bullseye? No. Sorry, can't think off anyone now...

Edit: The Silver Surfer --- starring Vin Diesel!
Comedy too can sometimes discern what is right. I shall not please, but I shall say what is true.

--ARISTOPHANES
Spartakus X

Postby porkchoppunch » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:14 am

Spartakus X wrote:
porkchoppunch wrote:Joss whedon and Del Torro seem to get passes just because they fit into the crowd they make movies for, that said I like a lot of Del Torros stuff(except mama that was weak) and whedon I actually never watched a lot of but I'm interested in Agents of Shield his tv show.

Whedon: Buffy & Angel, Firefly and the Avengers.
Never got into Buffy despite Seth Green and Sarah. Didn't even know Whedon was behind it until you said it. Angel and Firefly I never saw either but my friend liked firefly(unfortunately I usually don't share his taste so idk about that one) Avengers was ok people may tell you it was great but it felt kinda dragged out to me.
Blade II, Hellboy I+II, Masters of Horror and now Pacific Rim.
Del Torro _has_ the gritty that I miss with Whedon. I like Del Torro's fiendish fantasies, the Lovecraft influence and the plots that he comes up with, but he never comes close to being as convincing as Carpenter or Cronenberg or Raimi or Rodriguez from my pov. I might/should give "Pan's Labyrinth" a chance...
Pacific Rim really rattles my cage. It has these Lovecraftian Kaijus, cool looking Mechas and most importantly the awesome
Idris Elba and Ron Pearlman (I really like ensemble keeping directors --- but granted one reappearing actor doesn't make an ensemble now...).
I'm really afraid of spending (that much) money on that movie, because I'm afraid of being left with a mediocre experience.
I already crossed "World War Z" from my list, because studio meddling f-ed up a good screenplay by J. Michael Straczynski whom I trust to deliver. I'm probably going to see "Man of Steel", because besides with "Sucker Punch" Zack Snyder has never disappointed me.

I liked Pan's Labyrinth but you gotta be open to subtitles which I know a lot of people get turned off by them in movies. I liked Blade and Hellboy, HB2 was ok. Pacific Rim sounded awesome when I heard about it, a little less so when I saw the trailer but Perlman and Charlie Kelly(day) from Sunny and Del torro will make me see it, idk if I'll pay to see it but that's another issue not related to the directors or actors.
I love Lovecraft and if you meant Tom Carpenter(Halloween) and of course you meant Sam Raimi then yeah but in fairness Sam's a legend he can do horror, his horror can turn to camp and not lose a step(I'm looking at you Ash) and he can do superhero(spidermannnnn, 2 was my favorite but they were all pretty good)
World War Z was never on my list but that's just cause I'm tired of Zombie stuff the last 10 years has been more zombie stuff than ever since Romero made it profitable.
I actually liked Suckerpunch besides all the barely legal I thought it was a good, twisted story. Great visuals, again not just the barely legal but all of it. I refuse to pay to see Man of Steel, not a huge Superman fan plus I already know the ending because it caused a bunch of literalist to go up in arms, so if you really like Superman idk if I'd see it but I'm not tryna tlk anyone out of seeing it because the better any comic movie does it means it's more likely more comic movies will follow.
porkchoppunch

Postby Spartakus X » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:48 am

porkchoppunch wrote:but my friend liked firefly(unfortunately I usually don't share his taste so idk about that one)

Recommendation by a friend that liked it made me watch it. I do share his taste often, but this was one was a bad suggestion.

porkchoppunch wrote:I liked Pan's Labyrinth but you gotta be open to subtitles which I know a lot of people get turned off by them in movies

Not a problem for me. I was raised bilingual (English/German). That's why I can tell the quality of synchronization.
It sucks in most cases. The translation probably goes to the lowest bidder. They go about it with no regard to the culture of origin at all and
often voice the characters in a horrible fashion that doesn't do the actors justice. Think Kung Pow. Subtitles are alright!

porkchoppunch wrote:I love Lovecraft and if you meant Tom Carpenter(Halloween) and of course you meant Sam Raimi then yeah but in fairness Sam's a legend he can do horror, his horror can turn to camp and not lose a step(I'm looking at you Ash) and he can do superhero(spidermannnnn, 2 was my favorite but they were all pretty good)

John Carpenter, right? ;) When referring to Raimi and superhero I'm almost closer to Darkman than Spider-Man. Don't get me wrong.
I liked Spidey 1&2, especially 2, but I didn't appreciate Dunst & Maguire in their respective roles. Ash is one of the greatest movie
characters ever! Yeah, groovy!
Lovecraft is interesting. He was a jerk and true weirdo in real life, but I read and loved "In the Mountains of Madness", which
Del Torro was actually announced to make a movie from, but was never perused unfortunately.

porkchoppunch wrote:World War Z was never on my list but that's just cause I'm tired of Zombie stuff the last 10 years has been more zombie stuff than ever since Romero made it profitable.
I actually liked Suckerpunch besides all the barely legal I thought it was a good, twisted story. Great visuals, again not just the barely legal but all of it. I refuse to pay to see Man of Steel, not a huge Superman fan plus I already know the ending because it caused a bunch of literalist to go up in arms, so if you really like Superman idk if I'd see it but I'm not tryna tlk anyone out of seeing it because the better any comic movie does it means it's more likely more comic movies will follow.

Znyder's remake hooked me to Zombies. Catched up the whole Romero lore after that and loved it madly. I can watch any not too trashy
Zapocalypse film without getting tired of it as a genre/topic, if it's good. Whatever that means from my perspective.
Because of "Watchmen" I trust Znyder to have made a decent Superman film. Alan Moore's criticism didn't affect my opinion, although
I respect him a lot and the same goes for the criticism that Superman has received and that I've avoided for obvious reasons.
Suckerpunch didn't live up to the expectations that the trailers led me to have in it. A "R" rating might've done the trick.
The sexual suggestions weren't as crass as you make it sound I think (is that the mainstream opinion about that flick?).
That abuse-theme could've served as a driving point for motivating some bad ass vengeful wrath and was kind of wasted by the self-imposed
restraint that movie shackled itself with.

Other than that I'm noticing that I'm really getting pumped more and more to see Pacific Rim...
Comedy too can sometimes discern what is right. I shall not please, but I shall say what is true.

--ARISTOPHANES
Spartakus X

Previous

Return to TV/Movies