Iron Man 3: The Long Lethal RC Iron Man Bang

Discuss all the TV and Movies you are into

Iron Man 3: The Long Lethal RC Iron Man Bang

Postby Spartakus X » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Talk about a successful franchise. $1 billion and rising. Good for you Mickey! I am far from an Iron Man fan in general. I liked the first movie and that's it. I'm not as enthusiastic as many others here, that I usually share a great deal of positions with on various subjects, in the (recent) Marvel super hero genre movies. This one I find especially frustrating, because contrary to better knowledge I was conned by promising trailers,
a top cadre of actors and a legendary action movie director. Turns out that Shane Black was the wrong man for the job. He was unable to adapt
to the specifics of the genre he was working on here. It turned out to be like making David Lynch direct an American Pie movie. I don't feel like getting into details, but I need to get this out of my system.

Detailed criticism can be read here:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fan_fic/news/?a=78909
&
http://www.politicalforum.com/other-off ... sucks.html (first entry)

My two cents:
Spoiler:
The drone-war & Bin-Laden-front-of-evil-corporismo-theme are interesting, but were in the
wrong movie. One of the main reasons stated for rejecting the comic version Mandarin is stereotype and
racism. This isn't that far fetched, but considering Lethal Weapon 4 a weak excuse for not having wanted
to dabble with a magic/fantasy vs. science theme which would have alienated the director even more.
Also, does China as a market for Hollywood movies mean, that Chinese villains are a thing of the past?
More downers are Way-esque story telling/plot holes, villains that don't convince, too much bonding with
women and children and a miserable seen it too often final showdown on a boat at night.
This movie should've been "Big Trouble in Little China" meets Iron Man + optional expanded Marvel U.
What I got was a huge disappointment and an incentive to consider getting that VPN...

Shame on Shane! Wow, he even made Monster Squad, but couldn't handle this one?

Ah. Better now. Thanks!

Crossing my fingers to the max that World War Z is gonna rock!
Last edited by Spartakus X on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Comedy too can sometimes discern what is right. I shall not please, but I shall say what is true.

--ARISTOPHANES
Spartakus X

Re: Long Lethal RC Iron Man Bang

Postby DoctorDP » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:27 am

I actually liked it at first, but the more I think about it the more it sucks. The Mandarin twist stunk of M. Night Shyamalan (though admittedly it wasn't as bad as an actual M. Night Shyamalan movie), it was like the actors were allergic to actually wearing a suit of damn armor, and for the love of Deadpool could they find another plot besides "Evil Corporation create cold war make monies terrorists durrrrrrr!"
DoctorDP

Re: Long Lethal RC Iron Man Bang

Postby Spartakus X » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 pm

DoctorDP wrote:The Mandarin twist stunk of M. Night Shyamalan (though admittedly it wasn't as bad as an actual M. Night Shyamalan movie)

Shyamalan is better than his reputation. The Happening and Devil are pretty good, but I get the drift.

I essentially love all movies Shane Black has ever made, but here it simply didn't work out.
(I sat through the Lethal Weapon 1-4 marathon back in 1998!!!). I watch the Long Kiss Goodnight
(so creepy after 9/11 not!?) twice a year for the love if it, although it's considered a flop.
It never bothered me that his style is repetitive, on the contrary, but to see Tony Starks' place getting f-ed
up like Riggs beach house and the Long Kiss Goodnight conspiracy twist and Cheadle/Downey Jr. being like
Glover/Gibson and the stupid battle at the end....
For me it didn't work in this kind of movie. I like my superhero movies campy like Blade 3 or the Watchmen. T
his one was too obviously aiming at "appeal to a broader audience blerg-nerds-etc., superheros are corny".
DoctorDP wrote:another plot besides "Evil Corporation create cold war make monies terrorists durrrrrrr!"

It's a good theme! For movies that are like Syriana or Blue Thunder or The freakin' Rock, but not in that way in a
Marvel superhero movie.
Last edited by Spartakus X on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Comedy too can sometimes discern what is right. I shall not please, but I shall say what is true.

--ARISTOPHANES
Spartakus X

Re: Iron Man 3: The Long Lethal RC Iron Man Bang

Postby DoctorDP » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:13 pm

It may or may not be a good theme, but it's been done to death. It's mostly a liberal wet dream- all the "down with capitalism and the military industrial complex!" without all the unfortunate implications of a government conspiracy, i.e. that you can't trust the government or the squickiness of religiously motivated terrorism. Sadly, it's also highly implausible.
DoctorDP

Postby Spartakus X » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:37 pm

DoctorDP wrote:It may or may not be a good theme, but it's been done to death.
True!

DoctorDP wrote:Sadly, it's also highly implausible.

Explain please.

--ARISTOPHANES
Spartakus X

Postby DoctorDP » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:57 pm

Well, for one thing understand that I'm not saying that people wouldn't try to profit from a cold war- that's just common sense. You should try to profit from anything, that's just how the gears grind. However there is too much risk involved in starting one and too little reward if you succeed because at the end of the day the government gives out military contracts whether we're at war or not. Oh, and there's the kicker- we're at war at the moment. A cold war would arguably be better then how things stand now.
DoctorDP

Postby Spartakus X » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Some valid and some disputable points DoctocDP sir. Very interesting. I couldn't help but ask you to explain,
but actually I started this here in order to evade my chores (struggling pitifully to get a B.A. in political science...).
If you'd like to continue on the subject more thoroughly I'd rather move it to another thread and keep this one
about bashing or praising (tools! :P ) IM 3, Shane Black & the quality of blockbuster movies.

--ARISTOPHANES
Spartakus X

Postby DoctorDP » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Not really much more to say on the topic.

To tie it back to Iron Man 3, though, it tore through my suspension of disbelief. They were trying to be edgy and relevant while actually playing it safe; basically, they were trying to have their cake and eat it, too. It's kind of like how they want Tony Stark to be a rich, cultured genius and a man-child dude-bro at the same time.

The minute the Mandarin twist happen I was like, "Oh God, it's going to be one of THOSE." I pretty much knew how it was going to play out.
DoctorDP

Return to TV/Movies