Doctor Who

Discuss all the TV and Movies you are into

Doctor Who

Postby DeadpoolBugle » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:31 pm

New season started up a couple weeks ago, wondering if anyone else is a fan.
Just call me Ben
DeadpoolBugle
Site Admin

Re: Doctor Who

Postby shibori78 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:43 pm

I'm a fan of the show, albeit not a hardcore fan. I like Matt Smith--he's a great doctor--but I don't enjoy his portrayal as much as Tennant's. I do heart the Ponds!
"Cynicism is an unpleasant way of telling the truth." Lillian Hellman
shibori78

Postby Spartakus X » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:40 am

Somebody tried and failed to hook me to hit. The same guy makes "Sherlock Holmes", right? That one has been recommended to me too.
You might find this interesting: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/j7m4o6
Made me :oops: a bit, because of my "Love Deadpool = Hate Way 'Column' "....
Comedy too can sometimes discern what is right. I shall not please, but I shall say what is true.

--ARISTOPHANES
Spartakus X

Postby n00biito » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Craig Ferguson is a total fanboy of the show (he has a Tardis on his desk) and talks about it constantly. I've been thinking about watching it but from what I hear there have been a lot of incarnations of the good Doctor and I wasn't sure whether to try and find the old series first or just jump into the new one so I decided to leave it alone.
Proud believer of Kopimism in Ctrl C + Ctrl V we trust!
n00biito

Postby DeadpoolBugle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:11 pm

I started when the series relaunched in 2005 and have been a fan since. I always mean to go back and watch the old series, but it hasn't happened yet.
Just call me Ben
DeadpoolBugle
Site Admin

Postby PoolFan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 pm

I too started with the relaunch but when Tennant left so did my interest.
PoolFan

Postby DeadpoolBugle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:30 pm

I loved Tennant and was convinced I wouldn't like the next Doctor, but damn if I was wrong. Smith's Doctor is awesome, and the stories since he started are probably some of my favorites. I recommend giving it another try.
Just call me Ben
DeadpoolBugle
Site Admin

Postby BillyOfBillycartLane » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:55 am

I'm ambivalent about the revival series. It's often enjoyable, but too frequently acts like a Hollywood action movie, which isn't the type of thing I'm hoping to see while watching Doctor Who. I also think the use of overarching stories has gotten a bit tiresome. When every season ends with the universe being pulled back from the brink of destruction, it gets kind of hard to care. Time to scale things back for a while, I think.

Oh, and I hate the sonic screwdriver being used as a magic wand that can do just about anything at all. Scramble computers, dismantle weapons at range, force a giant beast to regurgitate. The presence of that failsafe solution sure as heck makes it hard to care about any problem.

Still, there are always a few good episodes every season. I'm yet to catch up on the current one.
BillyOfBillycartLane

Postby brohne » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:54 pm

I have religiously watched all episodes up until the new season. I'm not as excited for it. Mostly because I miss the Master and despise River.
Sadomasochistic writer with delusions of grandeur.
brohne

Postby shibori78 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:11 pm

BillyOfBillycartLane wrote:Oh, and I hate the sonic screwdriver being used as a magic wand that can do just about anything at all. Scramble computers, dismantle weapons at range, force a giant beast to regurgitate. The presence of that failsafe solution sure as heck makes it hard to care about any problem.

I love TV Tropes term for this: Applied Phlebotinum -- "Phlebotinum is the versatile substance that may be rubbed on almost anything to cause an effect needed by a plot. [The sonic Screwdriver] can basically fix, break, lock, unlock, or otherwise modify anything you want."
"Cynicism is an unpleasant way of telling the truth." Lillian Hellman
shibori78

Return to TV/Movies